CD and Video recorded at Shepherds Bush Empire, February 2000. A lot of work and a lot of fun. John Etchell’s was the engineer. Every track has its own story. Everyone involved is remarkable in some way. Almost all the songs were worldwide hits, performed live by the writers.
This album was the most fun ever. I particularly enjoyed breakfast at Richard O’ Brien’s, hearing the background to his fabulous version of ‘The Time warp’ and his story of how the Rocky Horror show came to be.
Enjoying Arthur Browns story telling from his front row seat in British music, over a pint at his local in Brighton to discuss the brass arrangements for ‘Fire’ was another great moment, as was booking someone to light the Fire helmet to comply with fire regulations at the Shepherds Bush Empire. You cant record ‘Fire’ without the fire hat.
Admiring the black swans in Roger Taylors lovely home in Surrey, and …. well I could go on for hours. It really was a fun time.
On the sadness side, Paul Young (Mike and the mechanics/Sad Cafe) died shortly after recording the quite fantastic version of ‘Every day hurts.’ that appears on this album.
The SAS Band go from strength to strength. If your lucky enough to catch a show you will see why.
Songs on the album:
1. Blinded by the light | Chris Thompson
2. Big area | Mark Shaw
3. All I need is a miracle | Paul Young
4. Every day hurts | Paul Young
5. Time warp | Richard O’ Brien
6. Fire | Arthur Brown
7. My Generation | Leo Sayer
8. California Man | Roy Wood
9. I just wanna make love to you |Stevie Vann
10. 2-4-6-8 Motorway | Tom Robinson
11. Every Time you go away | Paul Young
12. Just good friends | Fish
13. Radio ga ga | Roger Taylor
14. Hammer to fall | Tony Hadley
15. The show must go on | Chris Thompson